MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Sunday, April 24, 2011

4/24/11 Cape San Blas Escape

Tonight is our last night of our escape with our family at Cape San Blas. Every night I watched the sunset with a glass of wine in my hand. Every night Joe stayed in the condo. If he cracked one smile the entire time, I think I missed it. I did my best not to let him spoil these few days and most of the time I succeeded. I did bring it to his attention that he looked 100% miserable and that it looked like he wanted to croak any minute. Watching him like that is stressful to me and I wish he could pretend. The only things he does is eat, sleep and watch TV in this glorious pristine place. He has slept and ate well. There is no reason for his blues.

Cape San Blas is very isolated. There are no high rises, tacky souvenir places, restaurants or amusements. The peninsula has plenty of beach houses that are for sale or rent. Many of them are painted in pastels and have colored tin roofs. There are places to park to get over the dunes to the sugar white sand beaches. Shell hunting is the amusement park and riding the ocean waves.. During in season, one can snorkel for bay scallops in the bay. The sea grass and sparkling waters beacon everyone. The weather has truly been perfect for the days that we have spent here. We enjoyed eating at various seaside shacks in the open air where the specialty was FRESH seafood. The oysters and shrimp were divine and they came in hundreds of different ways.

Being with my sons and my two granddaughters made me a happy person in spite of Mr. Grim tight thin lip Joe. We enjoyed pulling off the road in the out of the way places to explore the beach and tidal pools. The tidal pools were interesting with lots of hermit crabs, live conch, horseshoe crabs, fish, snails, snakes and imagination. Lots of sweat was created exploring St Joseph's Peninsula State Park where if you bring it in, you must bring it out. The sand dunes were huge there and only a few people venture all the way to the end. Billions of shells are a reward for the exhausting trek.

We also enjoyed BBQ burgers and drinking wine along laughing at each other. Mike rented a two movies from Redbox where one was terrible. We are watching the last one in a few minutes to ease down to rest. I am happy to saw that I got three amazing night's sleep.

Tomorrow we head to Baton Rouge which is our rest point for the night on our way to Houston.

God will lead us on the following leg of our journey with Mantle Cell Lymphoma. I sure hope He gives me more strength because I am getting really tired. I will do my best to take it one day at a time and one challenge at a time. It is the key.

Good-bye Cape San Blas. You were a blessing to our family. I am not sure about Joe though. It is what it is.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. You and Joe will be in my prayers this coming week. From my own personal experience, I suspect the upcoming hyperCVAD has been on Joe's mind this week. I know it would be on my mind a lot. It won't really feel like remission until after this last one is behind him. I well remember getting my PICC line removed, it was like someone let me out of jail. One day at a time, along with lots of prayers and patience and love, will get you though it.
    Thanks for sharing some of your vacation and pictures with us. I am so glad you all were able to have this time in such a special place with your family and such great weather too.
    Larry

    ReplyDelete