MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Monday, January 10, 2011

01/10/11 SAFE AND COZY AT EMORY

I figured out what I could not go to sleep till about 3:30 AM. The Cokes that I drink at the hospital are not Caffeine Free as I have at home so I have added Caffeine Free Cokes to my packing list. Somehow I was still able to get up in time to shower and pack a suitcase to spend a few nights with Joe at Emory since a snow storm was approaching and should arrive at 8PM Sunday night. I was so happy to be able to attend Sunday church service at Eastminster Presbyterian with all the wonderful people who were the backbone of Joe's Prayer Army. It was good to give and get hugs and tell everyone that Joe was doing great and happy to be back in Atlanta though he was in the hospital.

After church I headed towards Emory but stopped at Publix to buy some of their amazing sandwiches. Our favorite is Ultimate Club. I picked up some OJ for Joe, Caffeine Free Coke for me, chips, chocolate chip cookies and some cold cuts with cheese. The store was packed with people and thankfully the store had all the registers manned with people.

Joe was happy that I was back and that I would be with him during the snowstorm. He would not have to worry about me driving back and forth from home. The Bennetts, one of our great neighbors, offered to take Max out for us while we are tied up here at Emory. How wonderful is that! We had our picnic lunch and watched the NFL playoff games. It was a surprise that Green Bay won and we would be playing them next Saturday at the Dome. Joe and I have tickets! Whoopee! He is so excited about it and gives him something to look forward to.

Joe gained 25 pounds in only two days from water retention so they had to give him lasix shots twice which makes one go pee a bunch. He has got to flush those chemicals and dead cells out of his body. His feet and ankles have swelled up and he has to wear the elastic hose as well as wrap some fabric around his lower legs where a machine expands and lets go to get his circulation going. Joe finds it very relaxing so he does not mind doing it. His blood counts have remain stable and surprisingly has not need another transfusion of red cells or platelets. His platelets have consistently been over 100. Good News. His white cells are still too high and that has got to get down. We still have a long road to travel on this dangerous journey.

Sunday evening the Southern Snow Storm arrived on time with anticipation. It was amazing how fast it came down and accumulated. Looking out the hospital room window we could see the rooftops become all white. It was nice to be warm, dry and with my honey. I changed into my jammies and warm socks and we both snuggled in the single bed and watched TV. He barely could stand watching Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters. Joe swore they were repeats but they were new episodes. The last two chemos happened at 11PM with a short IV of vincristine followed by 24 hours of the Red Devil, doxorubican. We turned the lights out and went fast to sleep in each other arms. I would not have it any other way. We both find it very comforting.

We were greeted Monday morning with an early visit from Dr. McLemore who examine Joe and ordered the second shot of lasix but thought Joe was doing good. Praise God for these blessings. Local TV was manic with their coverage of the snowstorm that was on all day long that I thought I would lose my mind. Joe did not want the hospital food for lunch so I went searching to see what was opened at the hospital. All the cafeteria had was the normal hospital food such as pepper steak and fish. Yuck! I went to the other three snack bars and they were all closed. I walked over to the Emory University Food Court in the next building and it was also closed. I went back into the cafeteria and looked at the food available and I knew that it would not do for Joe. I came back to the room and started making phone calls to see if anyone in Emory Village was delivering and no luck. I called Publix which is only 1.5 miles away and they were open but they would be closing early. Joe loved the idea of another Publix sandwich and requested some cheesecake. Joe loves cheesecake with a passion. I decided to take the plunge and drive over there ever so very slowly about 15 mph. The roads were covered with snow mush and ice. I used all the winter driving skills I learned while I lived in Iceland for three years before I arrived in Atlanta in 1975. I was more worried about walking from the car to the store but I was so careful. I got our Ultimate Boarshead Subs on the multigrain bread and decided to buy a Roast Beef Sub for the evening meal since there was no way I was going to drive on sheer ice after sundown. I got Joe two pieces of chocolate pecan cheesecake, tiramasu, chips, and Cranberry juice. The juice was for me since I seem to have started a UTI. UGH! The Emory Pharmacist recommended some AZO to take and to drink lots of Cranberry Juice. It seems to be working since I am not burning when I urinate any more. Those things can be incredibly miserable.

Joe was delighted upon my safe return and we had another lunch feast. Today was a hard day to waste time with Snow TV on all channels. Finally tonight we had the Fiesta Bowl with Auburn against the Oregon. It is half time now and the score is 16-11 the SEC on top. Of course we have to root for the SEC. It is in our Southern blood but Auburn is not a part of our heart.

Joe just finished the Red Devil! YEAH! He is no longer hooked up to the LIFE TREE. He is IV line free. He was really looking forward to that.

Now it is time to get in my jammies and get next to Joe. It is where I belong.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment