MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Friday, February 4, 2011

2/4/11 Brief Update

Joe was released from Emory on Monday after receiving two units of red blood cells since his hemogloblin went below 8.1. We did not get home till about 4PM. Joe was extremely weak and pale. He could hardly get into the house from the lack of stamina. I ordered Joe to sit on the couch and his job was to rest, drink liquids, take his meds and sleep for the next few days so his body and mind could adjust. As a caregiver, you hate seeing your loved one like this but you do all you can to make their lives easy. I unpacked the car and got everything back to where they belong. I also set up the pill organizer which takes concentration and lots of time.

Joe did not have a followup blood test and doctor visit until Thursday. Jessica Neeley proudly announced that Joe did not need any transfusions since his counts were in the tolerant range (not normal). The nadir point will come on Monday where the chemo has done its massacre then more than likely Joe will need a transfusion before we fly to Houston for the tests and visits at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Jessica measured the outside parameters of Joe's spleen which had been grossly enlarged because of the other blood disease he has, myelofibrosis. Before all the chemo started, Joe's spleen measured a monstrous 30 cm and on Thursday it was only 10.5 cm. It is an awesome reduction and a positive outcome of the chemo which seems to have worked on the myelofibrosis. Tests by MDACC hopefully will determine that. Jessica stated that it was not unusual for Joe to be even more wiped out from the chemo. She believes the steroids has weaken his muscles and encouraged him to exercise as much as possible. It is about impossible since he is so weak.

I continue to get physical therapy on the shoulder and the other days I do water aerobics for an hour. The two shots that I got have worn off thus the pain is gaining in intensity each day. My sleep is awaken when I hit the wrong spot and then it is a huge OUCH!

Till another day! Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. All sounds good to me. I am jealous, my spleen has still not shrink all the way back to normal. A year ago, it was still 20 cm. Last June it was 18 cm. I did not get a measurement from the CT scan this week, but it is still enlarged, I am thinking about the same as last June. I am also thinking it is the reason my circulating platelet count is still low. I am glad to hear the chemo is working so well for Joe. I am so happy for you both. As for exercise...don't wait until you are "ready", do a little, but start very small and slow, very small increments. It may take months to build strength back up, but small bits here and there, adding more over time, and he will get stronger and overall feel better in the long run. But doing no exercise will probably just keep him weak. Waiting to start will just just delay getting strength back. Patience and persistence, I think he's doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear about Joe's positive effects. I pray that he continues to heal. Don't forget to take care of yourself Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a 64 year old mantel cell lymphoma patient and in remission for 2 years.The treatment of aggressive chemotheraphy has left a lot of unwanted side affects.I do thank god to be alive and may the cancer never return again.Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete