MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2/9/11 Rebuilding the Blood

Joe's nasty blood nose stopped finally at 2PM on Tuesday. It was great to see him wake up with a bounce rather than sloooooooow motion. Thankfully he agreed with me to take it very slow to let his blood counts recover.

We met Bryan and his parents, Rick and Vickie, for dinner at the Buckhead Diner. Bryan is only 32 years old. Piedmont Hospital diagnosed him this past Friday with Mantle Cell Lymphoma from a groin lymph node biopsy. His brother, Robby, who lives in Thomasville, Georgia found me via a search of mantle cell on the net thus finding my blog. I had spoken to Robby in length on Monday as Joe was getting his transfusions and made the request that I would talk and meet their parents who came into town from Charleston, South Carolina to be with Bryan as he got tests and consulted with the doctors at Winship at Emory. It is extremely unusual for a young man of 32 years old having his aggressive from of lymphoma. On Monday and Tuesday I spoke with Rick, Bryan's Dad, probably four different times until we were able to meet last evening at 6PM at the Buckhead Diner. Rick was full of questions as well as Vicky, his Mom. Bryan had some questions but his mind had shut down. He was not ready to discuss his disease. His parents wanted to know where Bryan should get treated. They wanted him to go to the top center, M D Anderson Cancer Center in Houston but Bryan wants to be treated at Emory where he is close to his network of close friends. Both Joe and I were as honest as we could be without trying to be grim. Bryan has a terrific chance of getting in complete remission since he is so young. I am skeptical at this time that Bryan has Mantle Cell Lymphoma. He is not sure whether a Lymphoma Panel and FISH test were completed. Tuesday he had a PET scan and had a Bone Marrow Biopsy under sedation (lucky guy). I mention to them about allogenic stem cell transplant as being very successful with patients under 60 years old. His parents are very intelligent and their is no doubt that they will explore all possible actions. I think Bryan agreed that he needed to get an expert second opinion and the best place to do that is MD Anderson Cancer Center. They were so appreciative of Joe and me meeting with them and being so open. It was enjoyable to be with them and a blessing to us. God somehow put us together. He works in amazing ways. It was wonderful for Joe to share also. They met with the Winship doctors today so I am not aware of the latest. Joe and I will pray for Bryan and his family. The first week finding out this diagnosis is devastating and incredibly stressful. I wanted them to walk away from us with HOPE since we truly have HOPE that Joe will get into remission. God bless them and walk with them on this dreaded journey.

Today, Wednesday, did not start as well. Joe started in sloooooow motion and stayed that way until he got gassed up with red blood cells. He could not even finish a meal today which has not been in the cards before. After having his blood drawn, they gave Joe a pager to alert one when they are ready to receive you for transfusions. The clerk assured us that it would work anywhere in the Winship building so we headed to the Patient Resource Center only one floor up from the Transfusion department, The Resource Center has nice couches and very comfortable reclining chairs. It is decorated with a little homey touch. About an hour relaxing in the center, one of the big male clerks came to get us that they were ready for us. Yep, the pager did not work which was a bad omen.

Our Infusion RN, Eunice, introduced herself to us and that she would be assisting Joe today. She had an island lilt to her voice and pronounced Joe's first name so sexy cute that one of the male nurse's laughed at how she said "Melvin." She grinned to ear to ear when I told her that I liked her voice and that had such a beautiful tone and was sexy which silenced the male nurse. She stated that the blood department was running behind and assured us that his blood was on its way. She verified Joe's name and date of birth. She said that Joe did not need platelets which was totally a shock but he would need 2 pints of red cells. I asked her for a copy of the blood test where she circled where the counts were low. It stated that his platelets was 77 which was hard to believe since only two days ago it was a minuscule 2. I looked at the top of the page and told her that it was not Joe's blood test and that it belonged to a Charles Evans. She could not believe it and grabbed the CBC out of my hands and saw that it really was not Joe's. She thanked me for catching that while Joe grinned proudly at me for the find. When we got Joe's real blood tests, his platelets were a still a low 13 and that he needed a pint of platelets along with the 2 units of red blood cells. I notified Jessica Neely, our PA, via e-mail of the CBC results and my alarm that Joe's blood pressure was extremely low at 91/53. No wonder he got dizzy when he stood up. No wonder he had no energy. I also asked her to get Joe's phosphorus level since it was not on the report. She e-mailed me back that she doubted that needed to be done since he was in the normal range on Monday but if I insisted, she would order it. I insisted and she ordered it. Well sure enough the phosphorus level was now below normal at 1.5 which was lower than the day he had the seizure and I took him to the ER. They doubled his phosphorus supplement and told him to start taking 2 monster pills four times a day. I read Joe the riot act since he would forget to take the mid day and early evening phosphorus supplement unless I handed to him. It is right on the counter with a huge note stating to remember to take it mid day and early evening. Jessica also read him the riot act and he had that bad little naughty boy look. BAM! Dr. Winton told Jessica to have Joe cease taking Benicar, his blood pressure medication until further notice and to come in to the clinic right away if he has any dizziness or any bleeding. Joe is scheduled to have another blood test and doctor consultation on Friday morning. If Joe's counts are not in the safety zone with his blood, we will postpone our travel to Houston which is easy to do since we are driving. Both Jessica and I feel that Joe will have good results on Friday based on history after Part B Chemo.

Joe is taking it easy tonight and watching TV in the Living Room, He spoke with his brother, Drew, who he enjoys talking to very much. I am so happy that they have become close because of Joe's life challenge along with the passing of their wonderful mother, Martha, last January 21, at the age of 88. I keep popping my head into the living room to make sure he is OK.

Thank you to so many people who commented on this blog site, via e-mails and on Facebook. Your kind thoughts and prayers are welcomed by Joe and me. You have made us strong as we fight this major battle. We will succeed. God is showing us the paths to take.

Good night my dear people. You are loved. God be with you and your families.

CIAO!

5 comments:

  1. Greets Bonnie!

    PoppaMike here. I've finally made it to your blog. Am VERY glad to know Joe's hanging out watching TV. Gail & I did just that tonight for a bit, catching up on some taped shows. We look forward to seeing you Saturday, but if Joe is not back to par, PLEASE do not hesitate to text, call or email!

    LOVE seeing all the fam pics. That's what it's all about. :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to wish Joe and you my best as a fellow MCL'er! Great blog you have! Mine is at http://mymcljourney.blogspot.com/ for the time I was in treatment and now I've started a new one - http://daretoliveon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, you are a wonder. It is so good to see that you are checking everything. Things could sure be messed up if you weren't. Everyone should take a lesson from you. Sending admiration and prayers, Fondly, Barbara Beckman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully by catching the paperwork error, the transfusions Joe received were a match for him and not the other Evans. I know everywhere I've gotten a transfusion, two people cross-check your name and DOB vs. what is assigned to the blood or platelets you are receiving, before they start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers going your way. Hope Joe get's well enough to travel soon. With God, anythiing is possible.

    Nancy Milliken

    ReplyDelete