MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

4/13/11 WHAT GOES UP HIGH, MUST COME OUT!

Last night, Tuesday 4/12, as Joe and I watched the Braves game on TV, I could not but notice that his face was beet red like the worse sunburn you can imagine. He did not have a fever but was having the sweats all day long along with being so very tired. From Joe's extensive medical history, I knew that his hematocrit (HCT) had to be very, very high. It is exactly what Joe experienced when he had Polycythemia Vera (PV) where he would need to have regular phlebotomies for having too much blood. Phlebotomies are where the hematologist takes blood out and takes about 30 minutes much faster than getting blood. If you remember reading last week, his Winship at Emory clerk had messed up his appointment day to the day we were flying to Houston thus he did not get it done. At that time his hematocrit was 51, high but not real excessive. There was no time to get a phleb at MDACC since it was a day filled of scheduled tests and doctor appointments.

The appointment time for the blood test to see where Joe's blood levels was at 7:30 AM so we got up at an early 6AM. I got 5 hours sleep but Joe got a decent night's sleep. His face was still beet red but no fever and his blood pressure and heat beat was normal, Unfortunately Joe lost weight again, he was 165.1 with his shoes on so more milk shakes and ice cream for Mr. Joe. Joe was called back for the blood test in a timely manner. Unfortunately, this is not normal at Winship at Emory. I was getting antsy waiting for Joe to be called into the Infusion Ward but the appointment time for that was 8:30 AM and he was called at 8:37 which is darn good for them. He was assigned the last seat in Row B where there are 8 hospital chairs where no one else was yet assigned but by the time we left, every chair was full. Joe got a blanket and made himself comfortable so he could fall asleep. I started to bug the nurses' station for a copy of his blood test so I could make my 9:05 appointment with my orthopedic sports medicine doctor, Dr. Mason. Eunice, Joe's assigned nurse,verbally told me his HCT was an astonishing 58.2. I wanted to see it in writing and within a few minutes later, I had it. Wow, it was true and it had Joe's name on the top. No wonder, his face was so red. It explained the tiredness and the sweats on and off all day long. I stated to Eunice that it appeared to me that Joe would probably need another phleb on Friday and Monday to get the HCT down to a safe level. The concern with a high HCT is clotting and strokes which of course is life threatening. I left Winship and drove 10 minutes over to the Emory Clinic Orthopedic and Spine Center located in Executive Park, Remarkably I arrived on time. My nurse walked me through the maze of offices and gave me my stylish cover. When she came back in the room, she had the monstrous large needle in her hand. I teasingly told her that she should not have let me see it since I could freak out but I did not. The sonogram machine was already in the room so Dr. Mason could get the cortisone shot right into the shoulder joint. The only thing they give you is some cold spray to supposedly help with the pain which by the way tastes awful since some got into my mouth. You can keep the jokes away my friends and family! LOL. I did OKAY though I did slightly jerked a few times but Mason said I did good. I figure with what Joe has to go through, I could handle it for 10 minutes or so. I squeezed my eyes shut and gritted my teeth as it went in. Mason did a good job. He gave me a prescription for some meds as well as Physical Therapy which I will do while I am in Houston. Heck if Houston TIRR Medical Center is good enough for Representative Gabby then it is good enough for me. It is located directly behind MDACC - very convenient, huh?

I was headed back to Joe by 9:50 AM. I called him and he stated that the phleb was done and they were giving him an IV of saline which is a good idea to do since one can get faint after blood is removed which happened to Joe only one time over a 12 year period. Drinking lots of liquids , such as water or Gatorade,beforehand is a key to prevent dizziness or fainting, While I was getting my shoulder tended to, Joe told me that Physician Assistant, the lovely Jessica Neely, came to see him prior to the phleb. Joe said that I should have seen the expression on her face when she saw how red he was. She asked him why he was so red and Joe told her it was because he had too much blood. As as I driving back to Joe, she came back down to see Joe after the phleb and spoke to me about maybe Monday or Tuesday would be best for Joe's next phleb but she would consult Dr. Winton about it since I stated I thought it should be Friday and Monday. Jessica thought that might be too soon. I was back with Joe at 10:10 AM as he was getting his IV of Saline. His face was already 50% less red. He stated he already felt much better that he had more energy already. Jessica came back while we were waiting and stated that Dr Winton said that Joe should come back in on Friday and Monday for a blood test and a scheduled phleb. Well, how about that! Winton tried to get down to see Joe but he was called into a meeting and that he would stop by and see Joe on Friday once they page him. Winton told Jessica that when the HCT is high like Joe's that one doe snot have to wait to have another phleb. We walked out of Winship at Emory at 11:20. Joe says that he was starving, Yeah! His appetite was BACKKKKKKK! I could tell he felt better since his posture was more up and he walked more firmly and quicker. His optimism was also back. Praise the Lord. We had lunch at Steak'N'Steak at the corner of LaVista and North Druid Hills where we beat the lunch crowd. Joe ate his entire lunch after I edged him on to eat the last 5 fries on his plate since he was ever so close to finishing it all. Good job, Mr. Joe!

As we drove up Musket hill to our home that we could not help notice that the tree and huge stump was still in the front yard. The tree man failed to show up again. Joe hopped in his shiny red Ford F150 pick up to talk to the tree company that was doing tree work for someone on Gunstock. They told Joe that they would be finished in 30 minutes and would come by our home to take a look at what we needed and give us a price. Sure enough, they were at our home in 30 minutes and offered us a price of only $$200 compared to $600 that our normal tree guy was quoting us. I admit that I was my skeptical self and questioned Joe's wisdom of hiring a person off the street to do the work. The crew chief was a muscular tattooed woman with 4 Latinos. She sensed my concern and promised that she would not mess up our yard or plants. I went into the house and decided that I could not bear to watch since that would add more stress that I did not need. The tree and huge stump is gone. I lost one dried out hydrangea that has not flowered since I transplanted it two years ago. I was NOT happy to see that my new nicely grass yard that I worked so hard on growing was pulled up for about 10 feet. I grumbled loudly to Joe. He promised to reseed those areas as well as where the DeKalb County Water department fixed the water main to our home several days ago, They did see it some but I am not sure it was enough to satisfy me. Joe stated that since we saved $400 that I could buy some new hydrangeas and the pink dogwood tree that I always wanted. We went shopping for the pink dogwood at Pikes, Home Depot's two locations nearby and Lowe's. I called another Pikes Nursery over on Toco Hills who stated that he had five pick dogwoods priced at $125 but were 6 ft tall and wrapped in burlap. Great! But thrifty me decided to hit Home Depot and Lowe's on Hwy 78 had about 8 pink dogwoods from 3 ft tall to 5 feet tall for only $25. I actually picked the smaller one since I liked how the branches were growing on it plus it looked healthier and the pink flowers looked perfect. I also purchased some panting soil for trees and bushes. Joe stayed in the truck as I ran into each place since I try not to wear him out. He knows that I am focused fast shopper so he does not ever mind waiting for me. Good guy!

When we got home, Joe worked in the yard blowing our long driveway and walkways as well as our deck, He was definitely feeling better and he did not even take a nap today. Hey, a little blood letting worked its magic. He looked even better as the day progressed and ate about 90% of his dinner at Applebee's. I did serve him two scoops of Strawberry Ice Cream as he watched the Braves lose to the Fish (Marlins). When he came into the house, I went outside to plant the dogwood where the 100 foot hardwood used to be. I dug a two foot hole, mixed the soil mix with the moist Georgia Red Clay, refilled the hole, made a moat around the perimeter to hold water. I need to get some mulch tomorrow to help keep the ground from drying out. I was a dirty gal when I finished doing the task. I came into the house and went right into the Laundry room to strip down to my birthday suit and put the muddy clothes into the wash. I headed upstairs to take a hot shower that felt heavenly and I smelled and looked a heck of a bunch better. Once I got back downstairs Joe was hungry and ready to go to dinner at Applebee's on Hwy 78 since we could watch the Braves game as we ate. I had one of their Weight Watcher's 550 calorie meal of Teriyaki Shrimp Pasta which was quite tasty so I will have that again as well as highly recommending it. I had read in the paper that for the last two months that the biggest selling meals have been Applebee's 550 Weight Watcher's meals. They are pretty darn good. Joe had the Asagio Peppercorn Steak and enjoyed it very much.

Joe headed to bed at 11:30 PM and announced to me that he had no sweats all day long! He was sure happy about that. The Phleb will do that to someone who has Polycythemia Vera.

I spoke to my friend, Nancy Smith who is Ray Buff's very close friend tonight. She told me that the surgeon worked on Buff for 11 hours very carefully removed veins and an aorta from the pancreas tumor.His spleen was also removed. The doc told the family that he believes he got all of the tumor. He will be in Intensive Care for 2 days then in a regular room for 8 days if all goes well. Please continue to pray for my long time friend, Ray Buff, his good friend and his family.

Tomorrow I have my "Welcome to Medicare Physical" with my wonderful caring internist, Dr. Shabah Shah at Emory Clinic across the street from the CDC. I can't imagine it being very thorough but Medicare encourages it so I will get it done.

I am tired so good night my blog followers who I treasured. You sure all know how to boost my spirit and keep me motivated at continuing the blog.

May the peace of the Lord be with you, your family, our country and physicians!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment