MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

4/20/11 ON THE ROAD AGAIN

It has been while since I updated my blog. The month at home in Atlanta has been excessively busy cramming everything in, that needs to be done in a short period of time before we head back to Houston for Joe's last two rounds of chemotherapy. I am happy to state that all our goals were accomplished over the last month with me catching upon a bounty of doctor and dental visits. There were some bumps in the road, as usual, that we just seem to handle somehow by tackling the task at hand. God has truly been our Co-Pilot.

Joe's hematocrit remains high even after three phlebotomies thus far. His last HCT count was at 56.4 on Monday. Before we leave Atlanta on Wednesday, 4/20, Joe will have one more phlebotomy. I pray that the HCT will go down since there is a danger of a stroke if we do not get it down. Joe is doing okay with the usual complaint of feeling tired but honestly, I think he does amazingly well, especially with all he has been through and still going through. He still has the lingering cough and has a cold sore between his nostril and upper lip. He has been taking medication for it and also for shingles in case that is what it is. He had a minor excision done on his neck onTuesday by his local hematologist, Dr. Brazas, in Decatur, Georgia. Joe had a squamous growth on his neck. Joe has a history of basal and squamous cell growths for the last 7 years or maybe more. It is hard to keep track any more.

Joe's hair is so handsome and cool to me. It is now about an inch long at the most and so soft as well as being a nice color gray. He will lose it all over again when he does the rounds of chemo but that is no big thing for a man. I love him no matter what he looks like. He is still too thin and has not gained any weight. He eats but he needs to eat more. I keep tabs on it.

I have gained a ridiculous and embarrassing amount of weight where I have lost control over. You would think that I could control it but it is easier said than done over what has happened in the last six months. My nails are down to a quick and my cuticles looked like a raccoon has eaten them. The fingernail that I crushed in the car door fell off but that is no surprise since it was totally black. It is grown about half way. My doctor increased my dosage of protonix to control the nasty acid reflux. United Health Care "PRO'S" had requested my doc to have me only take one pill a day instead of two last year. Well, that did not work! My doctor also prescribed me some Ambien to help me go to sleep when I need it. She said it was better for me to take the Ambien rather than the Xanax. I had no idea that Ambien would be better for you rather than Xanax. One learns new things all the time.

We are optimistic that the last two rounds of chemo will work and put Joe in a longer period of time of complete remission with of course, God's help. We need lots of His help along with giving us the strength and tenacity to fight on.

Before we land in Houston, we are taking a detour to Florida for six highly anticipated days with our family at Cape San Blas on the beach. To be with each other over Easter is truly a blessing from God since we had it as a goal. It was so iffy that we could achieve that goal. It seems like forever since I have seen both my sons and my two granddaughters, Samantha and Emily. Keith is flying in from Memphis with his girlfriend, Jennifer Lindsey. I will take lots of photos and post them when I can.

Happy Easter! Happy Passover! Happy Springtime! God is with you and your loved ones! Pray for a cure of all cancers. Lately I have had too many friends across the globe and at home, fighting cancer who mean so much to me. I know that everyone knows someone who has cancer or survived cancer or who loss their battle with it. I pray for peace and good health with plenty of love and hope for all.

Thank you for reading my blog. I had no idea how much it meant to me until I started to do it.

CIAO!

3 comments:

  1. Prayers and good thoughts go with you and Joe on your continued journey. May you both have a wonderful Easter with your family, that will make happy and beautiful memories for everyone. Don't worry about weight, just stay healthy.

    Love,
    Mary
    There will be a cure soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep us posted on Joe's progress in Houston. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie,
    I too am a 43 yr old, Mantle cell Lymphoma patient at MD Anderson, with two young teens... No treatment as of yet. Today I was diagnosed with shingles also. I needed to be reminded how God works in all of our lives to accomplish the impossible. I too have been given special dates and vacations and time. Please keep drawing closer to HIS light and HE will lead us thru this journey. My daughters stress shows in her nails too...I sometimes think it is easier on the patient then those who love us. I will add you two to my prayers. Renee M

    ReplyDelete