MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Dreams 12/26/10

Yep, I have not posted for over a week. It was a combination of too busy, too tired as well as the stupid arm. Let me how much I can remember.

On Monday 12/20 Joe was released from Emory University Hospital at 6PM. It took all day to get the blood results and two units of  red blood as well as the doctor's OK to be released. Upon the release we got 13 prescriptions filled in the pharmacy. The discharge orders had Joe not coming back for a blood test till after Christmas on 12/27 which I felt was dangerously long. Joe's had to have transfusions of platelets and red blood several times after each week of chemo in Houston. Joe called (yes, he did!) called Dr. Winford's office and got the nurse who came to us while we waited for the drug orders to be filled. After we discussed the history of Joe's needing transfusions she agreed to give him an appointment for early Thursday morning in the Infusion Department on the first floor of the Winship Cancer Institute which is located next to the Emory Clinics. She also directed Joe to take the Neupogin shots every other day since he had an historical trend of his white blood cells increasing rapidly. It sounded like a good plan to me so we agreed with it.

On our way home Joe wanted to eat dinner at our locally owned Mexican restaurant in Tucker called Sangrias where everyone knows our name and treats us special. We both had the Pollo Rancheros  which is white meat chicken with ranchero sauce covered with melted cheese with refried black beans and Mexican Rice. It goes together so well.

Joe was so happy to walk back into our home where he had two weeks at home over the Christmas and New Year's holidays which was both part of our Christmas prayers and dream. He loved his new HD large screen TV for the living room where he prefers to watch his shows. Donna, Rick and Jessie came to our home the previous weekend and put the TV stand and TV together for us. What a wonderful gift they gave Joe by doing that for him since he would not have the energy to accomplish such a task. Joe particularly enjoyed sleeping in our comfortable pillow top king size bed where it was quiet, dark and warm. Max slept at the bottom of the bed at our feet for a few hours. Simple pleasures have become so wonderful.

Tuesday was Bonnie's day and I had no idea that I would enjoy it as much as I did. I started early by going to see my internist, Dr. Shah, at Emory Clinic on Clifton Road. She has been my internist for the last three years and I really like her. She seems to take a real personal interest in her patients and remembers things about you that other doctors would never even think of remembering. My blood results from the previous week was excellent much to my surprise with my cholesterol at 175, glucose at 85 and great levels of good and bad cholesterol. She did review my MRI that I had before we left for Houston. She said there were several issues that were causing my right arm pain from my shoulder to my finger tips The C6 and C7 discs were bulging with compressions of the discs together along with degenerative disc disease. Oh the wonderful physical issues of getting older are playing havoc on my stamina, flexibility and pain levels. I mentioned to her that I had an appointment to see Dr. Garcia at the Emory Orthopedic and Spine Center on January 3. Dr. Shah stated that several of her patients used him and were very satisfied. I did nor like the first doctor I saw there, Dr. Levy, who was a cold fish and had no warmth in him at all,

After that appointment I headed to lunch then to my hair appointment at Hair Clips with Ina whom I have been going to for about fifteen to twenty years. I had my hair colored, foiled,and re-styled and left as a new woman. Joe liked my hair and the style since it was a little bit different. He noticed my hair which is saying a bunch.

Early Thursday morning we headed to the Winship Cancer Institute at Emory for his blood test to see if Joe needed transfusions. Waiting for the results is almost like waiting for your college tests results where you are nervous but very anxious to see the results. There were not many people in the waiting area so it appear that we would not be waiting long. They called Joe back and I did not go since at MDACC they would take his blood then we would wait in the waiting room area till the results came back. Well, after thirty minutes, I realized that it was different here. So I gathered up all our stuff and went into the Infusion area and started walking around looking for Joe to no avail. I asked one of the nurses where could I find my husband and she directed me to another nurse to then directed me to the other side of the clinic where they did the chemos and transfusions in a ward like area with maybe five transfusion recliners on one wall and five across the other wall with no privacy at all like they had at MDACC

On Friday I went back to Ina, my hairdresser, and told her my hair need more highlights. Without hesitation she redid the foiling and my hair is perfect. I love it! My oldest son arrived from Memphis like a tornado with broadcasting his Tea Party views before I could even hug him and say hello but that is Keith. He can drive me insane at times but he lets off this steam at me with all that is wrong with government and religion. I stated all the good things which makes it quite confrontational. He had his mortgage refinance closing at our home on our kitchen table where the title company came to him. The lady was here for about an hour and a half.  After all of that we went to the 7PM Christmas Eve service at Eastminster Presbyterian which was so pretty with it ending with singing Silent Night amongst all the lighted candles by the congregation and guests. It was our first visit to our church since we got back in Atlanta and it was a wonderful feeling being home. After the service, Pastor Caleb  grabbed us to say how happy he was to see Joe in the pews. He said he could see Joe from the pulpit with his bald head and mask to guard against germs. He was a sight for sore eyes, Caleb stated. Since there are three services at our church on Christmas Eve, we did not get to see all the wonderful people who supported us with their prayers during our Mantle Cell Lymphoma journey. The few that saw us were full of hugs and smiles with joy for us that we were home for Christmas. Joe would state with a smile that he was still among the living. He would tell them he felt fine but does not have the energy that he used to have. Well guess what, me neither!

After church service Joe, Keith and I headed to Prime at Lenox Mall for a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner. Prime has been one of Joe's and mine consistent favorite restaurants. We were delighted to be able to share a fabulous dinner with our son.

Christmas Day was wonderful in that we were home and rested nearly all day except for brunch at IHOP on US78 in Lilburn. The same pretty Arab lady waited on us as she did in previous times. We left our home in Stone Mountain about 5:15 PM to drive to Dawsonville. It was snowing and it was sticking to the grass and tree tops. Heading up 400 North to Dawsonville the snow was falling thicker with bigger soft light flakes. What a beautiful sight to see the limbs of the barren trees covered with snow that produced living sculptures along the highway. It has become a magical Christmas evening with white icing decorating the earth. As we turned off 400 into Dawson Forrest Road next to the North Georgia Premium Outlets the road was covered in snow where you could barely see the tire tracks of previous passing vehicles. There was a car in front of me going so very slows as the snow came down even thicker than before. It was hard to see where the edges of the road were on this dark snowy road. The car in front of me turned thus there was no one for me to follow. What a difference that made in how I drove which was slowly since I could hardly see in front of me with the snow falling so hard. Putting on my bright lights made it worse but we finally made it to Joe's sister's home. My youngest son, Michael, had arrived there five minutes before us after making the long drive from Jacksonville to be with the family for Christmas dinner. Joe's brother, Drew and his wife Josephine from Columbia, SC were there as well as Joe's two wonderful nieces, Jessie and Jennifer along with Jessie's two young daughters, Christine and Sydney. Everyone was so happy to see Joe and each other. Donna made a wonderful meal that everyone devoured  with Honey-Baked Ham, Sweet Potatoes, Mac n Cheese, Green Beans, Bonnie's Gelatin Srawberry Delight and rolls. For dessert, Donna made two of Joe's most favorite desserts from recipes that I had from my Mom and a friend. It was cheesecake and tiramasu. Yummy Stuff! Joe was so pleased that he took some home and has been nibbling on those delights. When we left Donna's home, the roads had cleared up and it has stopped snowing leaving behind more of nature's artistic elements along the highway. Perfect evening with people we love and who love us.

When we got home, we opened our gifts to each other but each of us already had received out gifts of love and family. Off we went and snuggled back into our beds for a long winter's sleep.

This morning the boys woke up late which was fine with Joe and me since we remember how we loved the holidays for rest and rejuvenating our weary bodies. Since Mike was heading back home, we had lunch at the Golden Buddha. Mike loves that place since he can not get Mongolian Chicken in Jacksonville nor Hot and Sour Soup,. Keith can not get Sizzling Rice Soup in Memphis so we ordered that for him and me. I was somewhat disappointed since the service and food was not up to the high standards from our past experiences. I hope that is was a fluke and I told the manager why it was lacking. We kissed and hugged Mike good-bye and thanked him for trekking here to share Christmas with us. Joe and I hope to make it to Jacksonville New Year's weekend to have our Christmas with our granddaughters. It will depend on Joe's blood tests and how he feels. If the girls have a cold, we would have to postpone it till they were well. Joe wants to see them as much as I do.

The only incidents Joe had since the chemo was a bloody nose at Prime on Christmas Eve. Luckily it stopped right away but it did startled Keith who spotted it first. I explained that it occurred from Joe's low platelet counts and that Joe had to be very careful when he blows his nose.  Joe's cough has lessened thanks to the cough medicine with codeine in it which has been a blessing. It has enabled him to get a good night's sleep.

Early Monday morning we head to Winship for Joe's blood tests at 8AM to see where he is at right now. At 9AM we see Dr.Winton to review the results and his comments on how the chemo went. It would be more of a surprise if Joe did NOT need platelets or red blood cells. It will be like waiting again for a college exam results.

Dreams of being home for Christmas came true then on top of it all, we had a White Christmas. It sounds like a movie script. I like the ending but we are looking for new beginnings and adventures in 2011.

Go FALCONS!

Merry Christmas to All with Love and Affection,
Bonnie

3 comments:

  1. So glad that you and Joe were able to be at home for Christmas. Home Sweet Home, no place like home. I hope things go smoothly Monday and no transfusions will be needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you and Joe had a good Christmas with your boys. I'm always in Florida for Christmas and have never been to an Eastminster Christmas Eve service - thank you for the glimpse of one of them. xo

    Lynn Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas sounded perfect, hoping to hear some more news later this week. Thinking good thoughts about a New Year's celebration in Jacksonville. Nancy

    ReplyDelete