MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Friday, December 3, 2010

The Light Comes Shining Through

Wednesday we have the full day off from MDACC which would mean we did a bunch of nothing. Something like a Seinfeld day. After Panera we took Max to the dog park where he ran with the other mutts and pedigrees. Some dogs were slender muscular specimens. Some had long hair, short hair, wiry curly hair. Some went flying into the water. Some had graceful dives. Some just put their paws in the water. There were a few dogs who liked to roll in the mud. Some of the wet dogs took a liking to me and jumped on my lap or shook all the water off their fur giving me a bath. There was one dog who came from behind me while I was sitting and poke him head between my knees for some loving. There was an adorable three month old puppy who I had to hold and do a cuddle love. How could you resist! Joe walked with Max twice back and forth along the length of the park to get his legs some exercise. Max dutifully followed Joe down the path.

During rush hour last night there was a major back up of traffic on the interstates and arteries since a gasoline truck overturned on US59, a major interstate type highway. There was no way that I was going to even think about trying to drive some place for dinner. Luckily we are staying near some nice places so tonight we walked down West Loop South where it meets San Felipe Boulevard and ate at  Yia Yia Mary's Greek Kitchen. I was surprise to find that it was not a fancy smancy place but a more casual atmosphere but yet it had a very rich presence from the street. Several people had recommended the place so it seemed like a great idea last night to walk to it. The service and meal was excellent so it ended up being a good choice. Joe had grilled shrimp with orzo covered with Greek tomato sauce which he really enjoyed. I had grilled lamp chops with a lemon potato and green beans Greco style. I loved the lamb chops and the beans but the lemon potato was not my type of dish but it was edible. Other people had raved about the lemon potato but I suppose it is a matter of taste. It was like a Idaho Baking Potato peeled and boiled with lemon juice. Joe insisted on dessert and it proved to be a real winner which was a Cheesecake with some of that Greek Phyllo pastry crumbled on top. It was a nice cool evening walking back to the hotel and the traffic was still backed up on all the arteries at 8:30PM. We felt sorry for the working people trying to get home.

Today which is Thursday was Joe's check in day at MDACC. We started at Panera Bread where Joe has taken a real liking to the three cheese souffle and the fresh orange juice. I still stick with my sesame bagel. We had an hour and a half till the first appointment at 11AM so I took the back roads over to Kirby. The back roads have some really beautifully architecturally designed homes and gardens. On both sides on the road are huge oak trees making a canopy over the road. It is stunning. So many older smaller home where the land is worth more than the house, people tear down the little old one and put up mansions and use the lot to its fullest. No house in the same. I just love this area of Houston. On Kirby we stopped by the $4.00 automatic car wash with a free 4 minute DIY vacuum suction. Joe loves a clear car so I made him a happy man by stopping at the car wash without him asking me to. Afterwards we drove down more of the side streets towards the Texas Medical Center and passed through The Museum District. There are probably ten different museums that are around the perimeter of pretty Hermann Park with the large majestic oaks, gardens and fountains. One feels like you are in Europe in this area. Well done to the City of Houston!

We arrived exactly on time for Joe's 11AM appointment for Fast Track Labs and Vitals. I had to remind Joe to get his Vitals completed after the Labs. You would think he would remember to do that by now. There was another hour and a half to kill before checking in with the clinical nurse to review Joe's Lab tests so I took Joe over the cross bridge to The Rotary House which is an upscale hotel made a part of the Medical Center for patients. On the second floor Joe wanted to eat at The Oaks which is a sit down restaurant where we escaped the hospital environment. We both had some excellent Fish and Chips. Joe wisely passed on the Cole Slaw since he is not permitted to eat uncooked veggies. After eating lunch I stopped by the Rotary Gift Shop to buy some Christmas presents since I will not have time this year to do it for obvious reasons. Bad me! Instead of Christmas presents I bought myself a cool black hat to compete with Jackie Ripley at church (JOKE). I also bought myself a zebra sequenced baseball cap with sunglasses  to match. Now I look so cool. I already got several compliments on my Annie Hall look today. Joe thought it looked cute so I scored there.

Back across the bridge to MDACC for the medical lymphoma consultation appointment at 1PM. One thing that one must get used to being a cancer patient is WAITING! We saw the clinical male nurse at 1:40PM and he also said Joe's counts were stable but they would go down significantly in the next several days where he was sure that Joe would need a  blood transfusion and a possible platelet transfusion. I tried to pin him down on when we could go back to home to Atlanta and he would not answer that question since it was up to Romaguera. I refused to leave MDACC today until I got a more solid answer. He said to request to see Goley Richardson, Romaguera's nurse to answer the questions I had. He stated that he would make a notation in the medical file to have Goley call us but honestly that was not good enough for me. Joe had an echo-cardiogram scheduled for 2PM so we could not ask to see Goley then since we had to get to the next area. Again, we did the same thing we learned how to do - WAIT! Joe got called in for the echo-cardiogram at 2:40 and it takes about 40 minutes to complete so I told Joe that I was going to the other gift shops to shop. This time I was successful at getting some unique Christmas gifts and thank you gifts. I also went to the volunteer Christmas concession and bought two sets of Christmas cards that were wonderfully and creatively designed by the children with cancer. It benefits the hospital charitable causes. Even the other gifts I bought at the other hospital gift shops, the profits go to assist the patients special needs. Here is where spending money feels good and really does good. I had just sat back down at the 6th floor lab waiting area when Joe came walking back in. Perfect timing! We only had to walk a short way over to the Lymphoma Clinic to wait our turn to speak with Goley which of course we WAITED for an hour for that to happen but we were not going anywhere till I got the schedule correct and agreed to.

Sooooo, it looks like we will be back in  our Stone Mountain home on the evening of 12/15.  In the mean time there will be lots of visits to the hospital for blood work, X-Rays, Bone Marrow Biopsies, CT Scans, a short round of chemo one afternoon, transfusions and a final visit with Romageura on 12/13. If Joe's counts are stable and there is nothing weird with the tests given, Joe will be released late that day. It will take us two days to drive home. Once we do get home, the next day, 12/16, will be a visit to Emory Winship Cancer Institute with Dr. Winton and team then hopefully an in-patient admission on 12/17 at Emory for a week of chemo with Joe being released on Christmas Eve. God willing. I am selfish in that I do not want Joe in the hospital over another family holiday since it was rough over the Thanksgiving week. But, again, if it has to be, then it will be. God will be showing us the way.

While I was doing one of the many waitings, I e-mailed Dr Winton and his staff at Emory about trying to coordinate and mesh this all together. Hopefully I will hear from him tomorrow since he seems really good about answering e-mails. I know that Joe's medical files are being processed since Emory contacted Goley and request some of the records she had. The Medical Records department is getting the entire medical file over to Emory since we made a formal request on Tuesday when Joe got released. The oxygen machines and tanks will be picked up tomorrow so that is another thing out of the way.

As I was driving back to the hotel, my oldest son, Keith, called who lives in Memphis stating that he will be coming to Houston for the weekend to be with us. Wow, that added whipped cream to the day. Both Joe and I are thrilled that he is coming, A blessed gift from God comes our direction again.

Next I got a text picture from my youngest son, Mike, of my youngest granddaughter, Emily, sitting on her couch playing a computer game. Joe and I both got to speak with Emily which always brings smiles to our faces. Grandchildren are the most wonderful gifts from Heaven where a special love blossoms immediately when they are born. Mike sounded great and that makes my soul happy also. It was the cherry on top of the whipped cream.

Joe wanted a good hamburger tonight. I had read about Pappa's Burger on www.yelp.com since I have been in Houston so I told Joe I knew just the place to have a great burger. It was NOT great! It was FANTASTIC! Freshly generous ground sirloin cooked to medium rare on a large fresh toasted bun and fresh french fries that are so tasty and crispy that I will craved these things forever. If you come to Houston and want a guarantee great fresh hamburger, this is the place without a doubt. It is located about 7 blocks from The Galleria. Joe and I were in Hamburger Heaven!

We were stuffed when we arrived back at the hotel. Joe had to rush to the boy's room while I took Max out to do his business. We sat down on the couch and I put lotion on Joe's legs and feet as well as his hands and arms because the chemo has dried up his skin and it shriveled up some. The Gold Bond Ultimate Shea Butter really has helped plus it make Joe swoon and totally relaxes him. He is now sound asleep in bed.

The Lord has blessed this day with happy moments. We are thankful and humbled by His constant gifts.

Peace be with you. May the Lord hold you and your loved ones in His spirit as you battle your various wars and have HOPE. I love you all.

Ciao!















 

5 comments:

  1. It's so good to read of such happy moments, Bonnie! I follow your blog every time you post and think of you and Joe very often.

    God bless you both,
    Hugs, Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for good days! Looking forward to the Sunday when we see the two of you at EPC! - Thinking of you both with special love and concern -

    Your friends,
    Marty and Annie Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah for whip cream and cherry dessert days!! Your tedious journey has been filled with love and adventure. What a wonderful pair of adventurers are you!! Your in our thoughts and prayers. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so thrilled that Joe is able to enjoy food. It seems like most folks on chemo, including my sister, lose all their taste buds and can't keep anything down. It always beings me hope to hear of Joe's wonderful meals! God Bless you...can't wait to visit when you return to town. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to hear that you both will be going home soon and that you days are filled with blessings. I enjoy reading your posts and just puts tears in my eyes...not for sorrow, but for happiness that all seems to be going great for you and Joe. Joe is a trooper and a half, and you Bonnie, are a fabulous caregiver and it shows through you postings your love for each other so very much.

    I will continue praying for you both and know Joe will be in remission very soon.

    Cindy (MF 10/09, revelimid - stable)

    ReplyDelete