MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Monday, December 6, 2010

Fab weekend and Bonnie ruffles some feather

Fabulous weekend of escape for Joe and me with my oldest son, Keith, flying from Memphis to Houston to be with us. It made the weekend go by fast which is a good thing since other patients state as the time gets closer to leaving MDACC, time starts to really drag. Keith gave us a special gift of time and we had some fun as well as some political discussions. He is absorbed in the Tea Party right now and wants to make a difference. The conversations get a bit interesting since we do not see the same way on certain things. I raised him to think for himself and make his own decisions on politics and indeed he has.

We picked up Keith right on time (9:10PM)  at Bush International Airport which is about a 30 minute drive from where we are staying. I did a Pasqual Perez circle around the entire perimeter of Houston. This place is HUGE! I love the city of Houston lights. We got over to the Galleria area about 9:45 PM and we ate at the "original" Papasito's Cantina. We all enjoyed our meals. Keith made a dinner out of two large appetizers and a Cadillac Margarita on the rocks. Joe had a combination dinner which he completed. I had a fabulous chicken flautas with yummy chunk tasty guacamole and sour cream and Spanish Rice. We got Keith a separate room at our hotel at a discount price so he would be comfortable.

On Saturday we met at 10AM in our room to head to Panera Bread for breakfast. The three of us put Max in the car and rode over to the Bark Dog Park. Keith was impressed with all the different dogs playing around and getting along so well. He saw a puppy that he wanted to get someday. It was a cutie with the softest red hair and sleek muscular body. Keith told us that his company is flying him from Memphis to Savannah for a face to face all day interview for a production manager type job. Joe and I pray that he gets it since that will mean he will be closer to us and Jacksonville where our younger son, Mike, and the grand kids are living.

We left the Dog Park and headed over to Edwards Cinema to see "The Next Three Days" with Russell Crowe after my youngest son told us how much he enjoyed it. Keith and Joe both move at the same pace - sloooooow. I like seeing the previews and I hate missing any part of a movie. They went to the concession stand which had a long line as I went into the theater to get a seat. There was hardly anyone there which is good for Joe since he is not suppose to be around crowds. I did not miss any part of the movie but the both of them missed about 2 minutes. The first half of the movie was slow building up the plot and suspense that Keith and I almost felt asleep. I can easily do that in a dark warm room with comfortable stadium chairs. The second half was fast pace and there was so issue in trying to stay awake. It was good. We came back and rested for a few hours before going out to dinner at La Vista Italian restaurant. The weather was still warm that one could eat outside but we chose to eat inside since there was less people and less noisy. We enjoyed our meals. Joe had the Lasagna which was a huge serving and he ate half of it. I had Eggplant Parmesan that was okay but I would not order it again. The tomato sauce was a bit runny and bland for my taste buds. Keith had Parmesan Encrusted Trout with was very good with a lots of taste. The trout tasted fresh and mild. After dinner we drove around a little bit to show Keith some places and some of the pretty Christmas lights. We got back at a decent time so Joe could rest some more and he went to bed early. I gave Keith my car keys so he could go out awhile which he did. He likes watching people so he enjoyed a little bit of freedom.

Joe and I had to get up very early on Sunday since we had to be at MDACC for lab tests at 7:45AM to determine if Joe needed a transfusion. One learns to develop patience in the Art of Waiting at MDACC. Joe's blood was finally drawn at 8:15AM so we headed up the 9th floor Sarcoma Department to wait for his appointment for 9:15AM with the nurse on duty. We waited and waited. Joe went to the restroom and I fell asleep in my chair with a blanket over me that one of the aides gave to make me comfortable. I had Joe go up to the receptionist at 10AM to find out what was taking so long. The nurse comes out and states she called us at 9:33 AM. There were only two couples in the waiting room so how the heck did that happen. The Sarcoma nurse stated that the labs were missing a few items on the lab report such as the all important platelet and hemoglobin count. I asked to see what was done so far and she did not have the written report with her. Hmmmmmm.... Finally about 10:45 AM she comes out to give us a copy of the report and states Joe did not need any red blood or platelet transfusions which was super terrific. She told us that the lab just did not complete all the lab work ordered the first time.

The chemo out patient was not scheduled till Noon so we drove back to the hotel to pick up Keith and the laptop and have lunch at Brown Bag Deli where Joe and I love their Rare Tender Roast Beef Sandwiches. Keith has now joined us in enjoying them. We got to the out patient chemo ward where we signed in at 12:05PM so we were on time. Joe went up one time to find out what was happening about 12:35PM. At 1pm the chemo nurse comes out and tells us that one of the blood counts was not completed, the Bilburin and that she had to order it since it was not ordered and sent Joe back down to the labs to get it done hoping that they still had the blood they took that morning. The blood was 4 hours and 1 minute old thus making it 1 minute pass the deadline to use that blood thus they has to draw blood again. We waited some more while watching the Jaguars game on the  laptop. I had enough waiting. I really did not want to raise heck. The clerk said the lab work was not in yet. I said that was not working as STAT. I did my Bonnie tornado walk to the Diagnostic Lab and asked the receptionist as I smiled and spoke softly that I wanted to speak to a supervisor. She stated there was no supervisor on duty. I came back and stated that there must be someone in "charge" and that I needed to speak with them immediately. She asked me what my needs were. I told her the story. She pulled up Joe's schedule and try to tell me that the work was never ordered. I had to convince her that he had two blood orders today and that surely she was not looking at it properly. I told her that someone is causing a bottleneck and I want to find out who is responsible so that it did not happen again. She tried again to tell me that the Chemo In Patient did not put in another order. I then requested her to get the Chemo In Patient on the phone and that they need to get it straighten out which she did. After about 7 minutes of the two of them on the phone, they stated the lab work was now in and that they would be called Joe in for his chemo now. I walked down to the Chemo In Patient and they called Joe back just as I walked back into the waiting room. A coincidence?  I doubt it. Someone needed to take responsibility and get it done. Joe got his premedication at 2:15PM which makes him drift away in LaLa Land. Keith and I headed over to Champps Sports Bar to watch the Falcons game. Joe was finished at 4:25 and he texted me to come get him. We got back to Champps as the second half was starting. It was a very intense exciting game where either one could be the winner. Thankfully the Falcons came up on top and remained in first place much to the dismay of the New Orleans Saints fan who sat in front of me who incited my exuberance. It was awesome. The three of us were cheering and doing the high five over the win. It turns out there was another couple from Suwanee, Georgia who happened to be in Houston for a company Christmas party. They came over to celebrate with us and it was hysterical. We all left at the same time. The three of us headed over for dinner at Pappa's Burgers where Joe and I had raved about the hamburgers and fries. This time we all ordered the burgers medium but they came out well done. I hate well done burgers. Keith and Joe did not mind but I sent mine back and got it the way I wanted which made me a happy diner. We got back to the hotel by 8PM and Keith looked totally wiped out so he said his good nights to us and good bye to Joe since I would be taking him to the airport at 4:30 AM and  let Joe sleep. I hardly slept at all since my right arm was hurting really bad all night long from the stupid bulging discs in my neck. It has been steadily getting worse and I have been holding on to get back to Atlanta. I did get to watch two of my favorite shows - Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters on Sunday night.

Keith and I got off almost on time to get him to the airport since he wanted to get their early.He did not want to go through that body scanner but rather have the patdown.  I rather do the scanner. He hated that the TSA is making us ALL as if we were criminals thus we are losing our rights. He believes in profiling and I agree with that also since we know the type of person who wants to destroy us. I do not believe that they should examine every Moslem but they should be using common sense. We left the hotel at 4:33am and he got to the airport departures at 5:03 with his plane leaving at 6PM for Memphis. I got back to the hotel at 5:35AM and hopped back in bed and stayed there till 9:30AM. I was finally able to get some sleep.

Joe worked on detailing my Lexus again. He loves a clean car as I had stated before. Joe advised me that Emory had called and wanted to know when he was coming to Atlanta. Joe told that person to contact MDACC which I knew would delay getting an appointment and hospital chemo date.  I called t Emory back and told them what I anticipate will occur and what I would like to happen. She had to speak with Dr Winton and get back with us. Within 15 minutes I got a definite schedule appointment time for everything. Joe should get a release from Romaguera on Monday December 13 if all the tests are OK. We would drive over two days, 12/14 and 12/15 back to Atlanta to make it easier on the both of us with an overnight stay in Biloxi, the half way point. Joe would have lab tests at 8AM the next day on Thursday, 12/16. Meet with Dr. Winton at 9AM and then be admitted to Emory the same day. If Joe is in the hospital for the full 7 days, then he would get out on 12/23 IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS at home. How awesome is THAT! Praise God for whom all blessings flow. I pray this plan all works out. It is the best that we could possibly hope for. I also found out that Keith and his girlfriend and my youngest son, Mike, will be home for Christmas. My heart is overfilled with joy. What a Merry Christmas it will be! We will have dinner with Joe's family on Christmas Day evening. What an amazing Thankful time that will be!

Joe's sister, Donna and her hubbie, Rick and daughter, Jessie went to our home on Sunday and put together the new TV stand and HD TV together for Joe. He will be so happy about that since I know that he would have an impossible time trying to do that. I am so thankful for their work and such a great gift to Joe. They saw one of my terrific neighbors, the Bennetts, who they thanked for watching and taking care of our home. Joe and I are so truly blessed that it is hard to hold the joy in my heart.

So that is the up to date happenings with Joe and me. Joe is asking me what place have a picked out tonight for dinner. Right now, I do not have a clue. I will do my research.

Oh I forgot about that we did today. Joe and I took Max to Memorial Park and walked the nature trail. It is Houston's huge signature park that is used happily by the Houstonians with walking, running, rollerblading, walking babies in strollers and biking. The place has those awesome craggedily huge live oak trees that I love. I will post a photo of Joe at the park in front of those trees with Max. It was gorgeous today and a perfect place to walk with temperatures around 60 and bright blue cloudless skies. It is good for Joe to walk as much as possible so far he is keeping it up.

For lunch today we had the best ever Chicken Salad sandwiches on Jewish Rye Bread at Kenny and Ziggy's on Post Oak Boulevard. We split the order since I had read the sandwiches are so huge and expensive that one should share. The sandwich cost $13.95. It had tender chunks of white meat chicken with mayo and fixings. It was creamy and so tasty. One thing that puzzled me is that they had no potato chips or fries there but a choice of potato salad, macaroni salad or cole slaw. Strange to me!

Well Joe has cleaned himself up shaved and is ready to go to dinner. I can not keep the hungry man waiting.

Countdown to home is 9 days! God willing!

Ciao!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job taking control of that fiasco with the blood tests and getting things back on schedule. I expect it was the weekend help. Sorry for your frustration, something no one should have to go through, with all the rest you two are already going through. Your take-control attitude reminds me of my wife and my daughter, they definitely look out for their husbands and their kids :) Hope everything stays on schedule. Joe will probably be tired during Christmas, but being home will be a relief and a great boost. But naps at any time are a good idea, whenever they can be squeezed in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie ~ You are exactly what Joe needs by his side... and there are times we must speak up and through the confusion!! You did great.

    And what a breath of fresh air the visit from your son must have been.

    Yea! for Christmas at home. Many blessings for your family.

    ReplyDelete