MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Sunday, October 10, 2010

10/10/10 The Day Before the Houston Journey

I would like to believe the 10/10/10 is a sign that the future will be full of good days and news. I suppose that I am holding onto anything that seems like HOPE.

Joe and I went to our church today at Eastminster Presbyterian. I am glad Joe went since he had skipped last week and he needed a spiritual boost. He did get it from Pastor Caleb Clark's Prayers for the People and Joe felt the words were meant for him. He was grateful for them and he told  that to Caleb that also. It was wonderful to hear the well wishers from our congregation after the service but even more so, Joe felt love and compassion from the hugs. Thank you everyone who hugged Joe. It was exactly what he needed.

We had lunch at Enzo's in Tucker. Joe loves the small Bambino bowl of spaghetti with tomato sauce with two pieces of toasted bread with Sweet Iced Tea to drink. I had two slices of plain cheese pizza with my usual Diet Coke in a can in my hand. Enzo's is one of those comfortable local restaurants but it does have some ambiance with a great outdoor eating area. The inside has HD Flat screen TV's on three walls. The table tops are made of granite. Good prices and tasty food makes the place a success.

By the time we got home the Atlanta Falcons football game was on. They played the Cleveland Browns in Cleveland, They looked pretty good. Joe and I were to leave for the Braves game at 3PM when at 2:55 PM he tells me that he does not have the energy to go and to find someone to go with me. Imagine trying to do that in five minutes, Not! It was Joe's second day without the INCYTE so the dreaded fatigue has caught up with him. Joe watched the games from his favorite couch in the horizontal position with his dog laying beside him on the floor.

I drove myself over to Decatur MARTA station to hop on the train to Downtown since the baseball game was sold out. They told people who did not have a parking pass to ride MARTA. Naturally as I walked down the steps to the track, the train pulls away. DRAT! It was another 22 minutes before the next train came because of budget cuts and inefficiency. I got off at the Georgia State Station to walk the mile to the stadium since the Braves Shuttle from Five Points is slow and not in a good location after getting off the train. I did not make it there in time for the first pitch but at least I got to see Tim Hudson get out of a nasty jam in the first inning. With the Braves missing five key players, it would take a miracle for the team to make it to the next round. The crowd was enthusiastic and the Braves almost pulled it out. If Billy Wagner, our closer, had not gotten hurt at the last game, I believe that we would have won. Conrad is the GOAT again with three errors which shows how badly we miss Prado. Oh, well, I still enjoyed the game and the crowd. I kept in touch with Joe via text messaging. He texted me that he still wanted to meet for dinner at Capozzis even though our friend, Tracy Minich, was not going to make it since she was late leaving Southern Alabama. I got there about 8:45 PM and Joe was already there waiting in his truck for me to arrive. We had a lovely quiet dinner with the piano player playing tunes in the background.

Tomorrow we leave for Houston. On Tuesday Joe starts the R-FCM chemotherapy for attaching his Mantle Cell Lymphoma. Good thoughts and prays are appreciated and pray for the doctors and medical staff also. Joe is very quiet and I hope that I am giving him the support he needs.

Ciao!
Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. We are Blessing for Joe in Houston and please let us know if there is anything we can do to help a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie: Thinking of you and Joe often. Will keep y'all in our prayers. I am glad you added the pictures to the blog. What a handsome couple! Much love to you both.

    Leeya

    ReplyDelete