MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Good News and Other stuff

Joe was released as an inpatient from MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC) around 1pm on Saturday. He is temporarily staying in an adjourning room next to his brother, Drew and Josephine, at the Marriott Courtyard on S Main St until I get back to Houston. Drew and Josephine arrived from Columbia, SC just as I was leaving to come back to Atlanta to get our affairs in order, get clothes, car and Max. I intended to start to drive back to Houston on Sunday with Rick, Joe's brother-in-law but I had to postponed it to Monday because of a nasty cold and exhaustion.

Joe's hemoglobin improved  to 9.2, his white blood count went down to 83 (from 137), and his oxygen levels improved to 96% from 84 %. Thanks to Joe being given oxygen. Joe can not breathe deeply because of his massive spleen pushing on his diaphragm. His spirits are wonderful thanks to the phone calls and his brother being there. The Houston area Presbytery came to visit him Friday.

In spite of all the hand washing and alcohol wipes I caught the cold at the hospital and had to wear a mask around Joe. If I have glasses on, they fog up.

On Friday AM, I took a shower at the Westin and headed to the airport, returned the car, and made it to the gate just as they were boarding the plane. The flight was smooth and uneventful. With no bags, I was able to go straight to my car. My first stop was Camp Woof to pick up MAX. Boy, he was one excited dog when he came out of the free range kennel.

Once home, I started to do the 1001 items to get done. I did not realize how much there was to do and still to do. Saturday was one of those days where nothing went right and it finally came to a point where I broke down over stupid idiotic stuff. The thing that broke the camel's back was getting my nails filled in and waxing my eyebrows and upper lip. The technician was going too fast and was a bit rough. When she did my upper lift, I swore she tore off some skin but it was very sensitive from the excessive blowing of my little nose. I yelled at the tech, Geez girl, you are rough and you took some skin off! She brushed me off a bit and keep pushing and tugging, then the tears started and I could not stop the flow. Stupid, embarrassing and over reacting from me which is from all the stress of the week plus feeling down and out lousy sick. I made it home with tears still flowing. Poor Linda R called me and the stupid tears flowed again. I made myself some chicken soup, took meds and headed to bed where I slept for a glorious 3 hours but when I woke up the sore throat was worse.

I fired off an e-mail to whoever I could at MDACC for assistance since CAREMARK, Joe's mail order company, has rejected the prescription the Dr Romaguera wrote for Neupogin injections stating that it was inappropriate. Well, what the heck do they know since Joe is the first case of Myelofibrosis and Mantle Cell Lymphoma. The Neupogin is suppose to help grow healthy white blood cells rather than in immature worthless ones. From my years of participating on line support groups that one has to challenge it and provide supporting documentation from the doctor why it is needed.

I treated myself to Outback with grilled chicken and mashed potatoes. I hardly ever order mashed potatoes but they were great on my raw red throat. Sunday AM , I will visit one of the Minute Clinics to make sure that it is not strep and got more potent drugs.

Rick and I intend to drive to Houston starting on Monday and arrive on Tuesday. Hopefully I will be more rested and feeling better.

Thanks for the e-mails, facebook postings as well as comments on the blog site. I love them.

Good night. Off to bed and sleep till I wake up with no alarm clock waking me.

God bless!
Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Have a good rest and safe driving back to Houston! Hope the cold will be gone when you wake up tomorrow morning. Let me know if Drew and Josephine need a drive to the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that Joe is doing better! See, our prayers do work! You must get some rest. It seemed like on this trip everyone around me was coughing. I know they couldn't help it but it was all I could do to keep from glaring at them!
    Hugs, Barbara Beckman

    ReplyDelete