MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Our Weekend, 10/2 and 10/3

The perfect weather in Atlanta this weekend was great for Joe since he does so much better when the temperatures are cooler. Saturday morning started like every morning with a trip to the Bagel shop for Joe and me. It was particularly more fun with two of my bagel mates that I have not seen in while were there, Sal from Smithtown, NY and a real Private Investigator.  Sal is best friends with one of my Hauppauge High classmates which always gets a great chuckle. The two told me of what they consider even a better bagel shop on Killian Hill. Joe and I have got to try it this coming week.

I dropped Joe off at our house since he wanted to go over to our home away from home, Home Depot. I own Home Depot stock so we make it our first line of hardware and garden shopping. Max, our golden, hopped in the car with me to enjoy a visit to the Pine Lake Fall Festival since they allow dogs there. Pine Lake is a small lovely village in the middle of nowhere. It is between Memorial Drive and Rockbridge Rd in the Stone Mountain area. The center of the village is a lovely lake, beach and clubhouse. The community reminds me of a little mountain village of homes since there are no stores in the village. There are cute little cottages with huge trees with a rustic and creative feel. Pine Lake is home to many artists in the area and it is easy to see why once you visit this little oasis. The festival was small with maybe 20 stalls with the local artists handiwork. The works were quite varied but I did not see anything that I liked. I did love walking with Max around the lake enjoying a perfect fall day.

I got home in time to watch the Tribute to Bobby Cox special on TV which reminded me of so many special moments that Joe and I have shared with Cox as the illustrious manager. The baseball game was a loser for us that night. Little did I know that when I bought tickets for Sunday's final season's game that it would be so pivotal.

Saturday night I picked a new well reviewed restaurant in Decatur called "The Iberian Pig." I think that we would had tried the place just because of the interesting name. I had read the reviews on Open Table and YELP and it was widely loved. It makes it easier to know what to order at a new place by reading "real" people reviews. It sounded awesome and different but we went with an open mind. The Staff is phenomenal and really the best attention to detail in ways that I never even thought of before. You have got to experience it. Our waiter knew that is was our first time there and discussed how they list items on the menu. I loved how they listed the wines as well as the various foods. The place was packed upstairs and downstairs as well as about 10 fulled tables outside. We had reservations and they seated us immediately and we liked that since we did see others waiting. The noise level was a bit high but not overly so but it was because this is a place where people are sharing tapas and dishes and talking about it. Watching the various plates go by us made us inquire as to what they were. Our waiter would not only tell us, he also pointed it out of the menu. Joe and I shared two great tapas that had been raved about. The first one was mini tacos with succulent pulled pork with just the right spices and toppings. It was served hot and the pork melted on our mouths. The next tapa was B.W.D. (bacon wrapped dates) which was a date with cheese, walnut and wrapped with crispy fresh bacon. We loved it and we never had anything like this before. The entrees were huge and can be shared for sure since we each ate only half of it. I had the T.I.P. Chicken with was tender, and great spices and melted cheese and the two samples of other tapas on the dish were heavenly such as fried goat cheese (almost like  dessert) and a ravioli like I never tasted before. Joe had the better of the two dishes with perfectly cooked pork tenderloin. Now do not get me wrong, the two entrees were both superb. We had no room for dessert and took the leftovers home for Max. Max rated the food as terrific and gobbled all of it down rather quickly.

When we got home to watch SNL with Brian Cranston as host but after the horrible display of the "music" act with Kanye West, I went to bed. At first I thought that it was a skit cause it was so bad. Who could possibly like his stuff? It was one of the worse that I have ever seen. Good Night, SNL!

On Sunday morning, Joe decided that he would not be going to church with me. Joe has been cramming household chores in trying to get as much done as possible before he starts chemo the following week. I sat towards the back and side of the church so I could leave a bit before the end of the service. Today was World Wide Communion Sunday so the service could run very late and we had tickets to the last Braves Game that started downtown at 1:35 PM. Since it was sold out and standing room only, we decided to take MARTA but it takes longer than it normally takes. The Pastor's sermon was a good one this morning with three guests from Africa. I left just at the start of the last hymn when Shelley stopped me in the lobby with her sly happy smile stating, "I know where you are going?" Her hubby looked at her strangely and then she said, " The Braves game." It is hard to pass one over on Shelley.

I drove home to pick up Joe. I changed my sweater for a Braves jersey and my shoes for my good luck silver sequenced sneakers as well as my Braves Cap. We hopped on MARTA at the Decatur Station and got off at Five Points to transfer to the Braves Shuttle. Why MARTA has the shuttle completely on the other side of Underground where the World of Coke used to be, makes no sense for patrons. Luckily there was a golf cart to assist us to the bus. The bus dropped us right next to Turner Field and we arrived just in time for the first pitch. After a more dramatic game than it needed to be, we won and now we would have to wait for the outcome of the Giants/Padre game. The fans were cheering the Giants to win their game since if they did, the Braves would win the WILDCARD and be in the playoffs. THEY DID. So Bobby Cox gets his last chance to play in the playoffs which his team and fans wanted for him to go out as a WINNER.

On our way to dinner at Sangria's, I got a thrilled excited call from Gilbert and Judy Morales. They were ecstatic about the Jaguars beating the great Peyton Manning led Colts in the last seconds by a monstrous  long 58 yard field goal. I was so happy for them. It was so cool having them share their joy with us.

Also great was to hear from both my sons on a Sunday. I love hearing their voices. My youngest, Mike, has interviewed for a a new leadership position with Bank of America and is one of the final two for the position. I hope he gets it but I know that if he does not get this one, another opportunity will be around the corner, I keep praying for his family to find happiness once again. They deserve it.

Tomorrow Joe drops his INCYTE trial drug another 5 mg for a total of only 10 mg a day. It will be a real test for Joe and I hope that his stamina holds up. His attitude is terrific.

Keep praying Joe's Prayer Army since I am getting butterflies as the days get closer to our journey to Houston. One wonderful piece of great news is that one of the MPD Support members from Washington State will be at MDACC at the same time as Joe and I. It is still amazing to me how we make friends over the on line support chats. I consider Barbara a friend. She is also on the INCYTE trial as Joe. We have a bond that makes us stronger together fighting the same fight.

Good night and sleep well. May God bless you and protect you and your loved ones.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. I'm sitting here reading Decatur, Decatur, Decatur and then it finally dawns on my where I've heard the name of the that town. My brother-in-law lives in Decatur...duh, to me and just trivia to you. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Name of "that town" not "the that town"....sheesh, I've been doing things like that lately.

    ReplyDelete