MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday, October 1, 2010

Joe joined me at Bagels n More for my morning ritual of having a bagel for breakfast. He was so sweet today. He is aware how my shoulder is giving me more issues by opening doors, grabbing my purse, getting the newspaper. I appreciate all those little things so much.

My physical therapy session for my impinged shoulder was difficult today after the day before and last night hurt more than usual. I made a follow up appointment with Dr Mason at Emory Orthopedic for Tuesday to take a closer look since after three weeks of physical therapy the shoulder is worse, not better.

I headed over to Northeast Center of Bank of America hoping to donate blood today but was rejected cause in the last 12 months I visited the Guanacaste Region of Costa Rica where there had been a few cases of malaria. We had gone to Costa Rica with six friends for a week starting 10/17/2009 so I have to wait till 10/26/2010 to be able to donate. What a bummer since my hemoglobin at 13 was good enough to be able to donate. I stopped by to say hello to my old mortgage comrades but no one was there. I just left a note with a sad face stating that I was sorry to miss them.

When I got home, Joe was piddling with his tractor. He stated that he was feeling more tired than he has felt which we contribute to his slow withdrawal off  INCYTE. His coloring looks good. We went over to Sports Authority and bought him some new sandals as well as some comfortable Nike pants with elastic and several shirts for his chemo session. The clothes he got breathe better so if he gets the dreaded sweats, he will feel more comfortable.

On the CLL on line support list there were several patients who gave accolades to Dr Keating and his team at MDACC. Some of the posts about Dr. Keating was amazing. He is so well thought of. Joe and I feel strongly that we are blessed that we were in the right place at the right time with Keating being in the same department as Dr V.

One of the support list owners forward me a recent article about the FCR combo therapy for CLL has been proven to prolong lives. It is the treatment that Joe will be given. I put a link on my facebook page and also sent the link to our family members so they can have some peace of mind about this particular treatment.

Tonight we had a wonderful Italian dinner at Capozzis in Decatur where they make us feel like family. They had already had iced our bottle of the house Pinot Grigio since they knew that we were coming. Joe started with a Caesar Salad and I had the tenderest and tempura fried calamari. Joe had the Soho Chicken and I had the Chicken Marsala which I adore there. It is dish licking good! They served mine with whole wheat penne. Keith, the owner, gave Joe a piece of Cheesecake on the house since Joe raved how good it was. Keith's son, Anthony, made it in house.

We came back home to watch the rest of the Braves game where the Phillies pounded the Braves. At Joe's request, I bought us tickets for Sunday's Braves game since it is the last day of the regular season and it could be Manager Bobby Cox's last game before he retires. We still have hope that the Braves will win the National League Wildcard Championship over San Diego Padres. Baseball is a humbling sport and we realize that anything could happen. Hopefully the Brave will play good Saturday and Sunday.

Ciao for Friday night,
Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment