MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day after Thanksgiving

Joe and I slept through the night at the hospital pretty good. I had assistance with my Xanax and Joe had assistance with benedryl. I did not wake up for good until about 9AM. The rooms' temperature is kept more moderately thus I am not freezing like the first two visits.

About 10:30 AM I headed back to the studio to walk Max and play with him a bit with Charlie, his rubber chicken. I gathered up a few things then head to Panera Bread to enjoy my sesame bagel. At Randall's Grocery I picked up some Diet Coke and two newspapers: USA Today and the Houston Chronicle. Next stop was Target to get a duplicate supply of makeup for the hospital room for me, small traveler's size scope for Joe and some warm PJ's for yours truly. For lunch I stopped by the Brown Bag Deli for a great rare roast beef sandwich with extra horseradish sauce and sat down and read the USA Today, A real treat for me to leisurely eat lunch and read the paper which is one of the luxuries I enjoy but have missed over the last month. My car was parked right in front of Chicos so I thought I would take a look for a warm sweater. Luckily it was not crowded at all and I found a long purple crowl neck sweater for $26 down from the regular price of $69.

Joe was comfortably sitting up after eating some spaghetti with meat sauce with cheese bread. He remembered to get me a copy of his latest blood tests where the white blood cells went down a bit and his red blood counts all improved to a more acceptable level. He was in good humor and smiling. He was happy to have me back when he got his next cyclophosamide chemo at 1PM. The doctor came by and stated that all was going smoothly. They gave Joe some latrix to get rid of more fluid since he was taking more in than going out, Some some his electrolytes levels were off but they do a great job here in watching and tending to whatever a patient needs. The 3 hour chemo went without a hitch and we both took a long nap since I could not keep my eyes open.

Joe wanted a pizza from Luigi's on Almeda about 15 minutes from the hospital. Oh my, he enjoyed it so much, He kept stating how good it was. After the pizza party, I went back to the hotel to tend to Max and play with him a bit. I got back to MDACC about 10:25 PM in time to watch Leno with Joe but it was a repeat. We ended up watching "Word According to Eli" with no commercials since the hospital has movies on demand with no additional cost. Joe and I laid next to each other with his arm around me as we watched the movie. The nurses would come in and see Joe and I snuggled next to each other and they would smile. I sure it was strange to see two 60 year old somethings snuggled up in a single size hospital bed. Aw Shucks!

It is now 1:10 and the next cyclophosmiade chemo treatment via the IV is being given to Joe for the next three hours which he should sleep right through it.

Yes, it was a calm day in Houston for Joe and Bonnie. We are thankful for it.

Thank you for those who have left comments on my blog site. I love reading them and appreciate the time it took you to write them.

Ciao!
Publish Post

1 comment:

  1. Bonnie and Joe,
    So happy to hear that the treatments are going well for you. Your visits with Marina's family sound delightful. Your post always make me hungry...this one was no exception. You're in our thoughts, we've had a bout with a virus, and then my daughter's father in law died, and so we've been grandtwin sitting. Keep up the good work...can you see the light at the end of the tunnel, my calculations say that your half way home!!

    ReplyDelete