MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Smoothe Operator

It was a nice lazy morning as we slept in with nothing on the day's itinerary. We started out at Panera Bread where Joe had no coffee which is very strange. He did have some fresh orange juice and a half of a cobblestone as I had my usual sesame seed bagel toasted till it is light brown with light cream cheese on the side. On my iPhone Yelp application I found Mike's Barber Shop nearby so we headed over there to get Joe's head shaved. There was a sign outside that stated hair cuts for $6.00. How in the world are they able to charge that little these days? I figured there had to be a catch but how big of a catch could it be. There were four lady barbers who had customers in their barber chairs. We only waited about a minute when Francis became free. She asked us what we wanted an we told her to shave it all off. She looked at us like are you sure? Absolutely, shave it off. I took several cute photos of good natured Joe getting his hair shaved off. Francis was gentle and thorough. She also took care of the hair on his ears and trimmed Joe's eyebrows. Total tab was $6.00! We handed her $10 and happily left the shop.

A Houstonian told us about the warehouse district on the other side of 59 South so we decided to give it a try and see what was there but we had no luck and I was not in the mood to shop anyway. I have not been in a shopping mode since I got here. There is some fabulous shopping in Houston but I can not shop unless I need something or in the mood. We found ourselves near Petsmart so both Joe and I went in to get Max some more dry dog food and a chicken toy whose name is Charlie. So back to the studio apartment we went and Max loved Charlie, the rubber squeaking chicken toy.

We decided to see a movie at 12:05 PM. The movie was Denzel Washington's "Unstoppable" about the runaway train. It was an entertaining two hours and Joe enjoyed it since he loves chase movies. It is worth seeing. Across the street from the theater we stopped at Costco to get some more multi-vitamins. Joe got some more OJ and I got some pretzels to snack on.

Now it was time for the old mid day nap for the both of us. We had no lunch since Joe devoured two bags of popcorn.  He will tell us I ate a bunch of it but do not believe him. I never saw him eat popcorn and enjoy it as much as he did at the movies.

We had dinner under the full moon and comfortable temperatures at La Vista. Joe had Chicken Capelinni and I had Cheese Ravioli with Vodka Sauce. Yummy. For dessert we had tiramasu but it was enough for four people so we took half of it home with us. I am sure that it will be gone by the time the sun rises in the morning.

While we were having dinner, I got a wonderful phone call from Marina Peed from Atlanta who flew into Houston on Saturday with her family for Thanksgiving with her Mom who lives an hour north of Houston. She invited Joe, Max and I to her Mom's ranch in Huffman on Tuesday night which is perfect for Joe since he goes back for his next chemo treatment on Wednesday. Marina is a ball of happy energy and she never met a person she did not like. We know Marina from our meetings of the Greater Atlanta MPD Support Group. She says her Mom has a small ranch with several horses and three dogs and to bring Max since he would fit in. Joe and I are looking forward to meeting Marina's family and her Mom. What a special time we will have! God has sent us another blessing that we did not expect or see coming.

Tonight I was on the Leukemia/Lymphoma Support Line that was helpful in giving me guidance on what to do next. They recommended that I start to make arrangements for Joe's chemo care in Atlanta. I search the web and sent an e-mail to Dr. Elliott Winton at Winship Cancer Center at Emory Midtown. He specializes in blood diseases such a Lymphoma and Myelofibrosis. I pray that he accepts Joe as a patient or refers us to someone at Emory who specializes in Mantle Cell Lymphoma. God is directing me. I know that his is the right thing to do.

Joe has gone to bed with Max laying again next to him also asleep. Max got wore out chasing Charlie around the studio. I must have thrown Charlie on the bed 25 times. When Joe took Max out for his nightly walk, I put Charlie asleep in my clothes draw. When Max came in from outside, he looked for Charlie right away but took it well and went to bed with Joe.

It has been a good day. Thank you Father Almighty for helping Joe and me and granting us blessings along the way.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment