MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday 11/8: Full day at MDACC as outpatient

Joe and I both slept really good last night with Max waking me up at 5:30 AM needing to go do his business. I put a jacket on and sandals and took him while I was in my leopard nightwear.....Grrrrrr. Max got freaked out again when the garbage men came to pick up the large trash container. The large noise scares the daylights out of him so he went poo only partially. It did not take much to go back to sleep until about 9AM when Max started pacing like crazy meaning he had to go really bad. It was now daylight so I did not want to go out in my leopard nightwear but poor Max could not hold it in any more and took a few large pellets by the door. I still took him out but he is so keen on the noises that he lowers his head and tail and wants back into the building.

Since I had developed another little cold, I decided that I would stay up and go to CVS and buy more cough medicine. Since I was already out, I wanted to get some other needed stops done such as the post office, grocery store, and Panera Bread before we headed to MDACC for Joe's Fast Track Check-In at 11AM. It was another gorgeous fall day in Houston with comfortable temperatures and blue skies. We saw two small puffs of clouds in the distance.

Joe checked in to get his blood drawn for Fast Track and get his Vitals checked. The nurse sent us off to lunch for an hour to wait for the lab work to be completed. We saw the PRN about 2PM when it was determined that Joe would need a platelet transfusion since his platelets has dropped from 14 the day before to 10 now. Normal low is 140. Low platelets are dangerous since that is what makes the blood clot. It was also noted that Joe had a bloody nose which is not a good sign. Remember we had asked about a platelet transfusion before he left the hospital on Sunday since I was aware that he was going to need one. I would have thought that it would have been better to have given it to him on Sunday.

Our appointment for the out patient platelet transfusion was at 3:30pm so we had an hour to kill. The PRN who gave the transfusion orders recommended that we go down to the transfusion department right away since they may get us in sooner.  Well, that did not happen. Joe did not get called in till about 4:15pm and all I wanted was a nap but it was too cold in the place to get comfortable. The transfusion went smoothly with no effects and we left the place at 6:45PM. 

Joe wanted some Texas BBQ at Goode's on Kirby. There were a bunch of people on line which made me nervous since Joe is not suppose to be around a bunch of people. We ate outside where there was less people and listened to the country twang music as we ate our BBQ.

It was great to see that Joe took Max out for a walk which gave me a small break from all the duties. Now Joe is sitting on the couch with his head back, mouth open, eyes shut with his arm around Max. Precious sight to see. It is only 9:30 PM here but I bet we are in bed by 10PM since the day really wore us both out.

Tomorrow there are NO medical appointments so I may be able to sleep late and take it slow. The weekly maid comes in tomorrow so when she comes we will take Max to the Family Dog Park. He will like that and it will be good for Joe also.

Good night one and all, May your night be peaceful with pleasant dreams.
Ciao,
Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment