MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11
MONICA SMITH AT MDACC 9/14/11

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kemah Broadwalk

Joe and I decided to drive to Kemah Broadwalk since it was such a beautiful day. We took I45 South to NASA 1 where the road passes right by NASA Houston Headquarters. A few years ago Joe and I visited the site and enjoyed the educational tour. The road to NASA is so much better now with the massive road improvements making it also an easy drive to Kemah and to visit NASA.

Kemah Broadwalk is located on Galveston Bay. Landry Seafood created the amusement area which is perfect for families with all the carnival rides plus a nice looking wooden roller coaster. It also allows Landry to show off all their variations of restaurants. There is really a boardwalk with a great view of the bay and bridges as well as some beach homes. It was neat to watch the sailboats pass by as we had lunch on the boardwalk. My favorite scene was an incoming fishing boat where one of the fisherman was cleaning the fish. Massive amounts of sea birds were fetching their lunch. There were about 30 large pelicans following the boat as well as seagulls and the long legged white egrets. The working fisherman kept his focus among all the flying and darting birds.

Lunch was at Landry's Seafood Restaurant which is their anchor of their chain. It was not too busy so we got a great table where we had a panoramic view of the bay with a bright blue sky framing the scene. Joe absolutely loved his Oysters Rockefeller which he shared one of them with me, Yes, they were superb and fresh! He also enjoyed his Shrimp Scampi with pasta. I had a small bowl of Lobster Bisque and followed that with Fish and Chips. The fish was fresh, lightly breaded and a great tasting lunch. It came with fries which I did not eat but it also came with some habit tasting thinly sliced fried onion rings. I wish that I had not gotten so full on the fish since the onion rings were addicting good.

We walked only a little bit around the boardwalk since Joe was not up to much more. There were numerous Muslims around with their families. I figured it must had been a group outing. It turned out today is a Islam holiday honoring Abraham of the Old Testament.

It took only about 30 minutes to drive back to the studio apartment so Joe and I could take a short nap. I enjoyed watching Glee and the Good Wife while Joe groan through both of them. He went along with my watching those shows since he was already sick and tired of hearing about Prince William and Kate's engagement. The news shows over do it big time and it will only get worse as the Royal Wedding approaches. I skipped dinner since I was still full from lunch but Joe took the car and had three tacos at Taco Bell without the lettuce and tomatoes which he can not have.

As I watched the TV shows, I worked on creating some new excel spreadsheets to follow Joe's blood counts with the help of Larry in central Virginia from the Mantle Cell support group on line. Larry has been a blessing to Joe and me with his advice and sincere interest in helping Joe conquer this beast since he has traveled this road.

Today we received a bunch of cards. Our two granddaughters created theirs for Joe which we treasure. One of the most touching moments is reading cards from people that we do not know but who are following this blog. It is amazing how our lives get intertwined and creates such great human bonds. Thank you all for touching our hearts and minds. Joe is very moved by it all.

Tomorrow is another check in day at MDACC.

Peace be with you!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading about your visit to NASA and Landry's. Good luck Thursday, looking for more improvement in the platelet counts. In my prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete